Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2. Negaunee

I’ll never forget Negaunee,
squatting, staring over
Superior water’s, cold,
                                       windswept,
                                                             waves.

One wondrous ripple rolls close
whispering, ‘I’ll never understand her’
and throws itself upon the stony shore.

I watch the tiny beads, shatter and squirm back
towards the great cold lake, and I have nothing to say.

Another is thrust up, quickly proclaiming
‘I! I am to blame!’, and breaking in dissolution
polishes damp stone.
I poke between pebbles,
 ‘Surely, not you, dear ripple.
Surely not you.’

I’ll never forget Negaunee,
squatting, staring over,
Superior water’s, cold
                                      windswept,
                                                             waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment